Caregivers need and deserve respite
Respite is defined as an intentional break from caregiving responsibilities. It is a time where caregivers can rest, relax, and do something for themselves. It may be as short as a few minutes or as long as a few days.
Caregivers who use respite regularly are less stressed, happier, and healthier. However, caregivers are sometimes hesitant to use respite.
A team of researchers at the University of Utah designed a program called “Time for Living & Caring” (TLC) to help caregivers more effectively use respite. They are now conducting a research study where caregivers can try-out the TLC program and provide feedback about how it can be used by caregivers.
A 16-week program to improve your use of respite
Over a 16-week period, you will use an online calendar and do weekly self-reflections to help you become more aware of your respite needs.
Spend just a few minutes each week to help achieve a more consistent respite schedule and plan the activities that are important to you.
Delivered completely online, the TLC program can be personalized to meet YOUR needs on YOUR schedule.
Your health and well-being may improve
By participating in the TLC program, you will be able to improve your use of respite. This will help you work towards becoming a healthier, happier, and less stressed caregiver. The benefits of using respite will be felt by you and the person you are caring for.
In addition to these great health benefits, TLC research participants will be compensated for their time with gift cards (up to $250) and/or a new Chromebook computer.
Are you eligible to participate?
- Are you currently caring for someone that has Alzheimer’s disease or dementia?
- Are you living with and providing care to this person?
- Are you 18 years old or older?
- Are you able to read and follow instructions in English?
- Do you have access to respite (a short period of rest or relief from caregiving) at least once per week?
- Are you interested in increasing the amount of respite you get each week?
- Are you able to use a computer and navigate a webpage? TLC study will provide computer and internet access, if needed.